Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Strawberry Fields Forever

It was supposed to be a quiet afternoon at home. Maybe I'd go for a run, play the guitar a little bit, read... But then I decided that I'd stop by Lincoln Center to see if I could get a ticket to A Light in the Piazza, and I did. Which means I didn't get home until about 11:30. So much for a quiet evening at home. But it was worth it. When I got my ticket I had some time to kill so I called Seth for suggestions. I lazed through Barnes & Noble for a while and then headed to 72nd Street. I walked past the Dakota building on Central Park West, a place that John Lennon called home during the later part of life, and where he was shot (on my birthday - December 8th) and killed.

In Central Park, Strawberry Fields is a garden that has been dedicated to John Lennon. There is a mosaic shrine dedicated to him in the middle. Right when I arrived, there were two guys quickly gathering all of the cash that had been "donated" on the memorial. I can only imagine it will be used for drugs. John would probably be proud.

-The Beatles-

No comments: