Sunday, June 25, 2006

Everything In Its Right Place

Last night Seth, Megan, Jason and I took the train to Brooklyn to explore Prospect Park and enjoy the feet-tapping talents of the world famous Savion Glover. It took us forever to get there, but since we were in good spirits we provided ourselves with plenty of entertainment. Among other things, Seth enlightened us all on his theory about the high concentration of chicken stores in dominantly African-American neighborhoods. I'm not sure if it could really be proven, but I did see KFC, Popeye's, and some no-name Chicken and Pizza shop within a three-block above ground subway transfer in Brooklyn...
Savion is a native of Newark and has developed an expertise that has taken him to the stage and the silver screen as he's starred in Bring In 'Da Noise, Bring In 'Da Funk and... Sesame Street. I am not passionately aware of much that goes on in the tap dancing world (I took the class for two weeks and dropped it before I even bought the shoes) but I was excited to see him perform. All I can say is that his legs and his heart must be in pretty good shape, because I didn't know it was humanly possible to do rhythm tap for 2 hours straight. And I don't think I've ever seen someone sweat that much. Ever. The man was dripping like a leaky faucet. Or a faucet that's not even leaking, just turned on all the way. To be honest though, as a spectator I could only take so much. The jazz band that was following his lead got in a groove and pretty much stayed there. The best part of the performance as far as I was concerned was the no name opening jazz band's cover of Radiohead's Everything In Its Right Place. Of course, how could a little Radiohead not make any night better?


So then we hit Junior's for "the best cheesecake ever" and started a debate about whether or not cake is bread. Is there really anything to debate? The two are entirely unrelated except for the presence of flour. Are you with me? The cheesecake was good, but not spectacular. Maybe I was just wasn't in the mood to be impressed that night.-Radiohead-

No comments: