Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Recipe Wednesday: Whole Wheat Bread

This recipe comes from my friend Meredith. She made homemade wheat bread all through college. I never really got into the whole homemade bread thing until I got married a few months ago. This is an easy recipe, and so delish. I could eat a whole loaf with butter and honey in one sitting...

Jessie Evans Smith's 90 Minute Bread

1 Cup warm water
4 Tbs. yeast

Dissolve yeast in above water.

4 C. warm water
4 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. sugar
4 Tbs. oil
4 Tbs. dough enhancer (only if you have it--this is not necessary)
9 C. or more flour (enough to keep dough from being too sticky)

Mix all ingredients in a mixer with a dough hook. Allow to rise for 15 minutes. Beat dough down and break into 5 balls for white flour or 4 balls for wheat flour. Form into loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Cover with a cloth and let rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown (with my oven, I always check it at 20 minutes and it' s usually done). Lightly grease top crust of baked loaves and let cool on their sides on a cooling rack.

No comments: